Snowmobile on the Vatnajökull glacier
Your adrenaline will pump when the fresh winds of the glacier will rush against you as you whizz over the snow. Joining this subarctic adventure and driving a snowmobile over Europe’s biggest glacier, will be one of the most exciting experiences you will ever participate in.
Along with an exciting adventure, you will also experience an unbelievable view over the glimmering glacier and its snow- and ice-covered surface. If you’re lucky and the view is good, you will see the east and south highlands of Iceland.
About halfway through the tour, we’ll stop and you will have the opportunity to take pictures and peacefully enjoy the scenery.
Our guides are very informative and entertaining and will tell you facts and stories about the area and the glacier. Don’t be shy to ask any questions if there’s something you want to know!
At base camp, Glacier Journey will provide overalls and helmets for the tour before driving you up on the glacier.
Snowmobiles are easy to operate and there’s no need to worry if you haven’t ridden one before. We will demonstrate how they work and go through the simple security rules before it’s time to mount your snowmobile and begin your adventure.
The snowmobile tours are available from March to October.
Approximately 3 hours.
Guided tour, overalls, bandana, gloves and helmets.
The meeting point is at our base camp, which is located just by Hotel Smyrlabjörg, 46 km west from the town of Höfn and 34 km east from Jökulsárlón.
GPS coordinates 64.2173538,-15.7195644,17
You are required to be at the meeting point on time, arriving 30 min before the scheduled departure time.
Unfortunately we cannot wait for late arrivals and hence, arriving late will result in an automatic cancellation of the booking and a full forfeiture of the booking fee.
Departure time for the morning tour is 9:30
So arrival time before the morning tour is 9:00
Departure time for the afternoon tour is 14:00
So arrival time before the afternoon tour is 13:30
Departure time for the afternoon tour is 19:00
So arrival time before the afternoon tour is 18:30
The standard version of our snowmobile tour has two persons riding together on a snowmobile. If you would prefer to ride alone you can choose the solo rider option.
However, if you are travelling solo or in a group of odd numbers 1, 3, 5, etc., you need to book at least one solo rider, as we do not pair you with another solo traveller.
When choosing the solo rider option you would always have to combine that with an adult ticket. As an example, if there’s a booking for 4 adults you would have to book 4 adult tickets + 4 solo rider.
When booking odd numbers; 1,3,5 etc. you need to add the “solo rider” to your adult ticket.
Use the promotional code JOURNEY22 when booking this tour for a 10% discount.
SUMMER LOCATION | BASE CAMP
Hotel Smyrlabjörg | Gps: 64.2173538, -15.7195644,17
- A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile.
- Good outdoor clothing and hiking boots are required.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for all our tours.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to inform our guides if they have any kind of health issue.
- There is a 48 hours’ cancellation policy; customers will receive a 90% refund if they cancel the tour at least 48 hours before departure. No refund is provided if the notice is less than 48 hours.
- If the tour is canceled by Glacier Journey for some reason, i.e. due to weather, customers will receive a full refund.
- Glacier Journey does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
- All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants.
- Glacier Journey can not make sure that no other person or other unrelated groups are in the area at the same time as our tours.
- Required participants per tour are at least two people.