Kverkfjöll Snowmobile Tour
Kverkfjöll – an active volcanic system
A snowmobile ride on the Kverkfjöll volcanic system is truly an experience of a lifetime and is a great adventure for groups who want to experience an unforgettable journey.
The last eruption on Kverkfjöll took place on the ice-free fissure swarm around 1300 years ago, producing about a 20 km² lava flow. The intervals between eruptions have varied from decades to thousands of years but the volcano remains active to this day.
The 130 km long volcanic system lies on the northern volcanic zone and consists of a central volcano rising to 1933 meters above sea level, and a fissure swarm reaching to the north east.
The central volcano is partly covered by up to 400 meters of thick ice and features two ice-filled calderas, each with a maximum diameter of 9 km.
The characteristic activity is explosive basaltic eruptions on the ice-covered part and effusive basaltic eruptions on the ice-free part of the system. The volume of tephra is generally small to moderate. The largest lava flow covers over 80 km². Eruptions on the ice-covered part are accompanied by glacier runs.
A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile.
Participants combined weight on one snowmobile MUST be 180kg / 390lbs or less. If your combined weight exceeds 180kg / 390lbs you need to book single snowmobiles.
This is VERY important for your safety while riding snowmobiles.
Please note: Due to the nature of this tour, it’s not for first time drivers!
The tours on Kverkfjöll are are available from May to September.
A tour on Kverkfjöll takes about 8 hours.
Drive from and to our meeting point
Mittens and buff
Please note that lunch is not included in the price and we strongly advice that you bring your own packed lunch and snacks for this tour.
The meeting point is at our base camp, which is located just by Hotel Smyrlabjörg, 46 km west from the town of Höfn and 34 km east from Jökulsárlón.
GPS coordinates 64.2173538,-15.7195644
We kindly ask you to be at the meeting point on time, and we recommend arriving 30 min before the scheduled departure time.
Unfortunately we can not wait for late arrivals and hence, arriving late will result in an automatic cancellation of the booking and a full forfeiture of the booking fee.
The basic price for an 8 hour tour is ISK 90 000/person (note that on this tour there’s generally only one person/snowmobile compared to 2 person/snowmobile on our regular tour).
Every hour after that is ISK 7500/person.
How to book?
Please book your tour via email at email@example.com or send us a message if you would like to know more.
SUMMER LOCATION | BASE CAMP
Hotel Smyrlabjörg | Gps: 64.2173538, -15.7195644
- A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile.
- Good outdoor clothing and hiking boots are required.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for all our tours.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to inform our guides if they have any kind of health issue.
- There is a 48 hours’ cancellation policy; customers will receive a 90% refund if they cancel the tour at least 48 hours before departure. No refund is provided if the notice is less than 48 hours.
- If the tour is canceled by Glacier Journey for some reason, i.e. due to weather, customers will receive a full refund.
- Glacier Journey does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
- All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants.
- Glacier Journey cannot make sure that no other person or other unrelated groups are in the area at the same time as our tours.