OF THE GLACIER
Have you ever dreamed of stepping foot on the largest glacier in Europe?
Come and explore the wonder of Breiðamerkurjökull, one of the stunning outlet glaciers of Vatnajökull glacier, the largest glacier in Europe. We meet at Jökulsárlón, the Glacier Lagoon, and from there we go off in a modified super jeep to the edge of the glacier.
You get to explore the glacier environment, the glacier crevasses with all its colors and beauty, enjoy a view out of this world and go into the glacier and experience the glacier’s magnificence inside an ice cave. A tour discovering the under wonders of the glacier is a truly unique experience.
At the base of the glacier, our guides will provide you with safety equipment (helmet, harness, ice axe and crampons) and the fun begins!
Our guides are all experienced local guides and will make sure that everyone is safe and are enjoying themselves to the fullest during the tour. The guide will lead the way and share a wealth of fascinating information about glaciers, icefields and their impact on our environment. If there is anything else you would like to know, don’t be afraid to ask.
Note that this tour is rather difficult and for this tour, we require reasonable fitness from the participants.
We strongly recommend participants to go over our list of equipment and be well prepared for the tour. If participants are not adequately prepared or dressed according to the weather conditions, Glacier Journey reserves the right to refuse them to participate in the tour to ensure the safety of every participant.
The Under wonders of the glacier tour is available from November to March.
Approximately 5,5 hours.
Transportation to and from our meeting point
List of equipment
- Base layer; a shirt, and long johns, synthetic or wool.
- Mid layer; fleece jacket, thick wool garment, Primaloft jacket or similar.
- Hiking pants, softshell or similar (no jeans). For colder days, an extra mid layer such as a good sweater, wool or fleece, is recommended.
- Waterproof breathable jacket and pants.
- Headwear and gloves, thermal.
- Good socks, synthetic or wool.
- Good hiking boots are essential. The boots should be high enough to provide good ankle support.
- A small backpack, for your camera, rain gear, and everything extra you would like to bring.
- A light lunch, a sandwich, chocolate bar and something to drink (non-alcoholic).
- Tennis shoes or sneakers are not accepted shoe wear for this tour!
- Jeans are not accepted for this tour
Glacier Journey reserves the rights to refuse participation of clients if they are not dressed according to weather since that would put the clients at risk. In these circumstances there will be no refunds given.
We meet at Jökulsárlón – Glacier Lagoon, 15 minutes before departure.
GPS Coordinates; 64.048096,-16.17877
Use the promotional code: WONDERS21 when booking this tour
for a 10% discount.
WINTER LOCATION | BASE CAMP
The Glacier Lagoon | Gps: 64.048096, -16.178778
- Good outdoor clothing and hiking boots are required.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for our all our tours.
- It´s customer’s responsibility to inform our guides if they have any kind of health issue.
- There is a 48 hours’ cancellation policy; customers will 90% refund if they cancel tour 48+ hours before departure. If less than 48 hours ‘notice, No refund.
- If the tour is cancelled by Glacier Journey for some reason, i.e. due to weather, customers get a full refund.
- Glacier Journey does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
- All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants.
- Glacier Journey cannot make sure that no other persons or other unrelated groups are in the area at the same time as our tours.
- Required participants per tour is two persons.