THE MIDNIGHT SUN TOUR
Experience the glacier under the midnight sun
Whizz across the stunning snowcaps of Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Europe, on a snowmobile with this thrilling sub-arctic adventure. This tour should not be missed by those seeking an authentic glacier experience in southeast Iceland.
Snowmobiling is one of the most exhilarating excursions you can take in Iceland; the cold winds rushing against you as you race over the glacier will give you an adrenaline pumping thrill.
In addition to this you will also experience some of the most amazing views over the gleaming surface of ice and snow as well as the highlands of the southeast.
About halfway through the tour we will stop the snow scooters and enjoy the calmness. This is a perfect opportunity to take photos.
Our informative and entertaining guides will tell you facts about the area, stories from the community, fairytales and everything you would like to know. Don’t be shy to ask them questions about anything that comes to mind!
At base camp, Glacier Journey will provide overalls and helmets for the tour before driving you up on the glacier.
Snowmobiles are easy to operate and there’s no need to worry if you haven’t ridden one before. We will demonstrate how they work and go through the simple security rules before it’s time to mount your snowmobile and begin your adventure.
This tour is open for a limited time only, in June and July, when the midnight sun is visible, and we only go on this tour when the conditions on the glacier are perfect.
This tour is not suitable for children.
The Midnight sun tour is available in June and July
Approximately 3 hours.
Transportation to and from our meeting point
Overalls and helmets
The meeting point is at our base camp, which is located just by Hotel Smyrlabjörg, 46 km west from the town of Höfn and 34 km east from Jökulsárlón.
GPS coordinates 64.2173538,-15.7195644
We kindly ask you to be at the meeting point on time, and we recommend arriving 30 min before the scheduled departure time.
Unfortunately we can not wait for late arrivals and hence, arriving late will result in an automatic cancellation of the booking and a full forfeiture of the booking fee.
The standard version of our snowmobile tour has two persons riding together on a snowmobile. If you would prefer to ride alone you can choose the solo rider option.
However, if you are travelling solo or in a group of odd numbers 1,3,5, etc., you need to book at least one solo rider, as we do not pair you with another solo traveler.
When choosing the solo rider option you would always have to combine that with an adult ticket. As an example, if there’s a booking for 3 adults you would have to book 3 adult tickets + 1 solo rider.
When booking odd numbers; 1,3,5 etc. you need to add the “solo rider” to your adult ticket.
Use the promotional code SUN22 when booking this tour for a 10% discount.
SUMMER LOCATION | BASE CAMP
Hotel Smyrlabjörg | Gps: 64.2173538, -15.7195644
- A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile.
- Good outdoor clothing and hiking boots are required.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for all our tours.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to inform our guides if they have any kind of health issue.
- There is a 48 hours’ cancellation policy; customers will receive a 90% refund if they cancel the tour at least 48 hours before departure. No refund is provided if the notice is less than 48 hours.
- If the tour is canceled by Glacier Journey for some reason, i.e. due to weather, customers will receive a full refund.
- Glacier Journey does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
- All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants.
- Glacier Journey cannot make sure that no other person or other unrelated groups are in the area at the same time as our tours.
- Required participants per tour are at least two people.